You are here
Show More Events
Fri., Jul. 29, 2016 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM CDT
Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones, and Jason Garrett hold an opening press conference from the practice fields in Oxnard.
Fri., Jul. 29, 2016 2:30 PM to 3:30 PM CDT
The Talkin' Cowboys crew broadcasts LIVE from Oxnard.
Sat., Jul. 30, 2016 2:00 PM to 2:45 PM CDT
Jason Garrett holds a press conference prior to training camp practice in Oxnard.
Embed Code #101 (Taboola Article Head)
Scout’s Notebook: Broaddus Evaluates Senior Bowl Players
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:26 AM CST
MOBILE, Ala. – The second day of the Senior Bowl has shown us some positive trends about a few players.
Here are some things I’ve seen and heard from some of the NFL scouts, as well as my own observations. Read
- The Senior Bowl buzz about safety Jonathan Cyprien of Florida International is legit. The kid has range on the backend but he can also work down in the box. Assignments seem sure and when he is asked to cover, he can do the job. Only saw one play where he was out of position but rallied to get back in shape. Will need to check his awareness when ball went to the outside and he appeared a little late to find it but other than that was just fine. Like McDonald looking forward to see the physical side of the game but will have to check his college tape for sure.
- Defensive tackle Sylvester Williams is a load inside. Is a hard guy to deal with when he is on the move. He plays with power and some upper body strength. Would be a fit as that one technique in the Cowboys scheme. Saw some late pass rush moves to free himself but will need more training in this area because did see a couple plays in team where he was single blocked on the pass. Like the way he handled the run at. Kawann Short of Purdue is another guy to keep your eye on. There were questions about his motor and if he would play all the time but I am not seeing that now. Like Williams he has been in the backfield a bunch during the 9-on-7 period. He too plays with power and is a taller player than Williams.
- There was some great matchups between offensive tackle Eric Fisher and defensive end Datone Jones of UCLA. Both players went back and forth causing each problems. Fisher is very good with his feet which has given the ends trouble but Jones has played with explosiveness which gave Fisher some trouble. The ability for Jones to get on Fisher quickly didn’t allow him to get a set on him and he was able to carry him back into the backfield a couple of times. Fisher got him a couple of times on cut off blocks but when Jones got free, he was able to chase from the backside. Jones would be a nice fit as the weakside end or where Ware plays on the backside because of his ability to run.
- Texas wide receiver Marquise Goodwin turned some heads on Monday with his ability to get open. On Tuesday, he had some nice reps but he also had some reps where his height gave him some problems. Goodwin is right at 5’9” and there were some sideline routes and in cuts where he really had to jump to try and grab the ball. There is no question of his hands or speed when he put it in the frame work of his body but the ability to have to adjust will be something that he is going to have to deal with during his career but these North quarterbacks haven’t helped him much with their accuracy problems.
- In the Cowboys 4-3 scheme, you need linebackers that can run and get to the ball. A player that stood out for me today as far as getting to the ball was Rutgers’ Steve Beauharnais. Every time the ball went to the outside on the toss Beauharnais was there to make the play. He plays like one of those guys that has a nose for the ball and his height and weight would lead me to believe that he would probably be better suited to play as that Will linebacker. I need to see his timed speed but he is just a tick below 6’1” and 236 pounds. Might be a third day guy but he did jump out at me several times today.
- Ezekial Ansah will also get work on the South side today. Really liked how he played end and tackle during his career at BYU. Will be compared to Jason Pierre Paul due to his lack of career football but doesn’t have that type of explosive quickness. Would draft him high if you just watched the Utah film.
- Talked to some scouts about Bacarri Rambo the safety from Georgia, didn’t get a great vibe about the character or off the field problems. Probably a player they would steer away from going forward. Will take a hard look at Jonathan Cyprien from Florida International. I missed him on Monday focusing in on McDonald and others. See if he does anything for me today.
- Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson is wearing a yellow jersey which means he is dressed the same as the other quarterbacks on the North but he did not throw a pass yesterday and got work at wide receiver but he didn’t get any work on release drills versus the defensive backs which surprised me. Hands look dependable but not natural on routes.
- Wisconsin center Ricky Wagner showed me some position flex by lining up at right tackle. All the film I studied of him during the season was him playing inside. Did not struggle or look out of place at all. Kyle Long of Oregon also played some tackle but guard as well.
- Heard some great things about Baylor wide receiver Terrance Williams from the South practice. He played in a great system in college where he had to run all kinds of routes and do them at a fast pace. Hands have always been solid. Proud to say that he also went to my high school in Dallas, W.T. White.
Embed Code #111 (Taboola Article Body)
Embed Code #106 (Taboola Article Below)