DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
You are here
Wed., Feb. 10, 2016 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM CST
Thu., Feb. 11, 2016 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM CST
Fri., Feb. 12, 2016 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM CST
Mid-Day Report: Club Working Out 4 Players; Day Off For QB
OXNARD, Calif. – The Cowboys are bringing in four players for an afternoon workout here before Tuesday’s practice, including three defensive linemen.
The Cowboys are dealing with more injuries at the end position. Cameron Sheffield will likely be out for a couple of weeks with a groin injury. Read
Toby Jackson (Central Florida) and Eric Bakhtiari (San Diego) are among the four players, along with defensive tackle Bobby Skinner (Montclair State) and guard Rokevious Watkins (South Carolina).
Watkins was a fifth round pick of the Rams in 2012 but was released after reporting to camp overweight.
Bakhtiari played four games for the 49ers last year and has bounced around the league since 2008 with the Chiefs, Titans and San Francisco.
Jackson was one of the players undrafted in the 2013 Supplemental Draft.
Here are some other notes coming out of Tuesday’s media sessions and Jason Garrett’s press conference: Read
- Garrett said Tony Romo will not likely practice Tuesday afternoon to give the veteran more rest heading into Wednesday’s off day.
- The Cowboys had a light special teams walk-through practice on Tuesday, which only features about half of the roster on the field. For the veterans, it was more of a morning off. The Cowboys worked on all special teams aspects, including the onside kick and squib-kick scenarios. Deep snapper L.P. Ladouceur was back on the field after missing the first week with a strained calf. However, rookie Jackson Anderson also handled a lot of the snaps.
- Safety Barry Church said he will return to practice in the afternoon after missing Monday needing a root canal. Church said a cherry Jolly Rancher caused the chipped tooth. It also led to an extreme amount of ribbing from his coaches and teammates. When asked to compare a grueling training camp practice with a having a root canal, Church said he’d rather be at practice “all day.”
- Wide receiver Cole Beasley has missed the last few practices with a minor knee injury. The second-year pro from SMU said he expects to practice Tuesday afternoon. “I have to be able run the routes and cut. And I hadn’t been able to do that until today.”
- Jason Garrett on guard Ron Leary’s return to practice Monday. “He showed some rust. He wasn’t perfect by any means, but he had a good day. We’re happy he’s back out there on the field.”
- Garrett brought New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi out to Monday’s practice and let him speak to the team afterward. On Tuesday, he commented on the experience and his relationship with Girardi, whose Yankees are in town to play the L.A. Dodgers. “He’s the absolute best – first class all the way. He’s won championships as a player, as a manager. He represents all the values here, the way he handles situations. As classy as a guy as I’ve ever been around.”