DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
You are here
Dunbar Not Ruling Out Returning By Sept. 8 NYG Game
IRVING, Texas – The glass remains half full for running back Lance Dunbar.
While the early prognosis on his sprained left foot injury will keep him out 3-4 weeks, Dunbar isn’t counting himself out for the Sept. 8 regular-season opener against the Giants.
“That’s my goal,” Dunbar said of playing the first game. “Most definitely. It’s just disappointing but that’s football. That’s what happens. I’m just going to work hard to get back quick.”
Dunbar, who is in a walking boot, said the injury occurred in Saturday’s 12-7 loss to the Cardinals when he caught a pass in the left flat and then spun inside for a 43-yard gain that resulted in a lost fumble.
“I felt it right then,” Dunbar recalled. “But it just got worse as I kept playing.”
However, the second-year back from North Texas said he is optimistic about an early return.
“I’m not sure exactly but it’s day-to-day,” Dunbar said. “I know it’s getting better. It feels a lot better than it did yesterday. My mindset is just: get back in the weight room and get treatment on this. Get back there as fast as I can.”
Along with the 43-yard catch, Dunbar also had an 18-yard reception over the middle where he outran the defender to the sideline.
Behind Murray and Dunbar, the Cowboys will certainly keep fifth-round pick Joseph Randle, a rookie from Oklahoma State. But now Phillip Tanner might have a better shot of making it. Tanner played on special teams last week but did not get any snaps at tailback.
“I don’t really change my mindset at all,” Tanner said. “Lance is our little jitterbug and he’ been playing great. We just all have to step up and do whatever they need. That’s the approach I’ve always taken.”