You are here
Tue., Jan. 27, 2015 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM CST
Wed., Jan. 28, 2015 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM CST
Thu., Jan. 29, 2015 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM CST
Rookie FA Scouting Reports: ASU DT, Akron Guard & More
Arizona State, DT (6-1, 297)
- Aware to play his position. Will extend his hands and look for the ball. At times will play as the open side end. Lined up at times as a nose in Notre Dame game.
- Needs to keep his head up when taking on blocks. Burst to run down the ball. Played as a three technique in USC game. Plays down the line. Really stays active, has to be careful not to get hooked on reach. There will be times where he gets tied up on blocks.
- When on the move is better. Will fire hands inside, keep feet moving and work around man. Showed the ability to shed blocks. Has trouble when his pad level goes up. Will two gap the blocker on the run. Nice sack off twist stunt against UCLA. Came inside as the pick, read block then worked to the quarterback. Able to beat the double team block.
- Can play as an off or shade technique, cross the face and make the tackle. Like how he lines up across the line. Has the power to play the one with the quickness for the three.
- Fun player to study on a defense line that can bring pressure.
Cincinnati, OG (6-5, 311)
- Played as the open side or weak guard for the Bearcats. Plays slow footed on tape. Shows power on the down block. Better when he can use his size to wall off his man.
- Is more catch and control than fire off and try to get movement. Takes really small steps when he comes off the line. Struggles when he has to deal with quickness.
- Will get over extended and knocked off balance. Can be a tick late off the ball. When he can get his guy going, he has a better chance to finish. The longer he has to hold his run block, the more trouble he has. When he wants to play with some nastiness, he can.
- Will try and be physical. Can make the short pull and get around the corner. Some hesitation when he comes off the ball working to the second level. Hard man to move when you rush him down the middle, is not going anywhere. More hand placement than punch. Plays with some upper body power.
- When the play starts to break down is when he gets in trouble. Doesn’t adjust well to the movement of the twist or blitz upfront.
Akron, OG (6-4, 308)
- Is the starter at left tackle for the Zips but is projected to play guard for the Cowboys.
- Really does a nice job of getting away from the line on his pass set. Has balance and quickness. Will sit down on his man, is interested in finishing his block. Not a one shot guy. Can turn outside on his man with power.
- Works well with the guard to help handle the stunts. Able to work outside, didn’t look like he was struggling with his block. Plays with awareness to get to the outside to pick up the blitzer. Showed quickness for the inside cutoff. Really good job of mirroring his man when he tries to adjust on him.
- Doesn’t get knocked back. Stays on his feet. Good square protector. Did not see out of position much. Reacts quickly on the down block, able to seal his man inside. Able to work back inside against the spin move. Can run his man up the field. Natural in punching with his hands then being able to reset them.
- Able to adjust on the 2nd level. Stays with his block. Looked much smoother in the Michigan game than he did against Northern Illinois. Gives me a better idea why they are interested in moving him inside.
- Not a bad prospect at all, has some tools to work with.
Ferris State, S (6-0, 196)
- Stared his career at Michigan and transferred to Ferris State.
- Is a hitter from the word go but needs to do a better job of bringing his arms with him when he does. Will take some questionable angles to the ball. Likes to come forward to be a part of the play. Plays like an extra linebacker. Will read the quarterbacks eyes in coverage.
- Can be a punishing hitter. There is violence in the way he plays the game. Will lose the ball down the field. Will jump around blocks when he is in the box. Will lunge for tackles in space.
- There are snaps where he is able to get his man on the ground this way, then others where he would miss. Times where he does show a burst. Is quick to come down hill.
- Finds his way to the ball. Will deliver a little more than needed at times. Will go for the ball. Tries to rip it out.
- Not sure if he really sees the right things in coverage? Been snaps where man has run right by him up the field. Appears to play better when things are in front of him.