DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
You are here
Fri., Mar. 06, 2015 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM CST
Fri., Mar. 06, 2015 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM CST
Quick Hits From Garrett's Rookie Camp Presser Sat.
IRVING, Texas – Saturday saw the Cowboys’ rookies take the fields at Valley Ranch for Day 2 of minicamp, highlighted by DeMarcus Lawrence’s debut on-field.
Cowboys coach Jason Garrett addressed the media following the morning practice, which was conducted without helmets after several players suffered injuries on Friday.
Here are some highlights from Garrett’s Day 2 press conference.
- Despite the “walkthrough-type tempo,” Garrett said it was good to see Lawrence getting some work, and the coaching staff worked separately with the defensive end after the walkthrough.
- Garrett said Saturday afternoon’s practice will also be more of a walkthrough, but the rookies will return to a more intense practice routine on Sunday.
- After going through installation during Day 1 practices, Garrett said it seemed like some of the rookies handled Day 2’s information well.
- Garrett said his coaching staff does a good job evaluating players and not making comparisons between players -- such as that between Lawrence and his predecessor DeMarcus Ware – during practices.
- Asked about L’Damian Washington, Garrett said the receiver has a very business-like approach. He said Washington is serious-minded and it has allowed him to progress a lot in the week he’s been at Valley Ranch.
- Anthony Spencer spoke about his recovery from injury on Friday afternoon. Garrett said the goal is to get Spencer healthy, but he added that you “can’t count” on any specific player to recover fully. He said it’s important to add “safety nets” to the roster in that regard, which he said he felt like the Cowboys had done during the offseason.
- Former Cardinals running back Ryan Williams worked out for the team following the morning practice. Garrett called the workout “impressive,” but he added that no decision has been made about signing Williams.
- Former offensive lineman Marc Colombo has been at Valley Ranch this week, and Garrett said he’ll be working with the personnel department and helping out on-field. Garrett said he has “great energy.”
- There were several fumbles during the morning practice – something Garrett described as a byproduct of young quarterbacks “growing up in the shotgun.” He said it’s something the staff asks rookie quarterbacks and centers to focus on especially.
- Garrett said the Cowboys still anticipate Kyle Orton will return to the team, but added that they feel good about Brandon Weeden and Caleb Hanie.