You are here
Show More Events
Wed., Sep. 02, 2015 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM CDT
Join an all-star version of the Break and Talkin' Cowboys from Valley Ranch, TX.
Wed., Sep. 02, 2015 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM CDT
Watch live as the Cowboys host their annual Kickoff Luncheon.
Wed., Sep. 02, 2015 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM CDT
Josh, Shannon, and David discuss the latest issue of Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine.
Scout’s Notebook: Quick Thoughts From This Week
Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:25 PM CDT
IRVING, Texas – Here are a few thoughts after the Cowboys’ final practice this week in preparation for their dress rehearsal preseason game against the Dolphins.
- With Sterling Moore back at practice on Thursday, I expect him to get some extended work both at corner and, more importantly, in the nickel at the slot. Even with Orlando Scandrick available and the normal slot, Moore needs to see some snaps there in order to get ready when Scandrick begins to serve his suspension.
- It appears that Rolando McClain made it through the entire practice without any issues due to his cramping that gave him problems on Tuesday. I can see McClain getting some action with both the first and second set of linebackers against the Dolphins. It’ll be interesting to see how his conditioning holds up on what will be a humid night
- Don’t be surprised to see Zack Martin get his first game action at center against the Dolphins. Martin has been working at the position and looks comfortable enough to see how far he has really come as a possible backup.
- Keep an eye on Caesar Rayford and the amount of work that he will get in this game. It looks like the coaches have settled on his playing as a three technique instead of trying to move him all over the line. In the times I have seen him play, there has been some nice get off on the ball.
- This team is doing their best to find as many ends that can rush the passer on third downs. I believe that Kyle Wilber is going to get a shot on that right side where Martez Wilson normally plays. George Selvie played on that right side in the Ravens game with Tyrone Crawford opposite him. Would not rule out Wilson getting some work on the left side as well, paired with Selvie or Wilber.
- Been told that Ryan Williams has done a much better job with his blitz pickups in regards to knowing which player to get and finishing his blocks. This was an area that was holding him back in his overall game.
- Would not be surprised to see Ahmad Dixon have a big game defensively after sitting out the Baltimore game. He appears to be one of those players that has a chip on his shoulder when things happen to him personally. He was embarrassed and will be out to make up for that.
- With the final roster reduction taking place on August 30th the clubs will be allowed to form their 10-man practice squads beginning on the 31st. In talking to several front office guys around the league, the majority of them are waiting to see which players qualify. But are there also some players that no longer have eligibility under the old system that gain some in the new format? Teams are happy to have the two extra players, but who those players are is still in question.