You are here
Wed., Feb. 21, 2018 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM CST
Thu., Feb. 22, 2018 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM CST
Thu., Feb. 22, 2018 1:30 PM to 2:30 PM CST
Scouting Report: New OG/OT Donald Hawkins
IRVING, Texas – The Cowboys claimed Donald Hawkins off waivers on Sunday afternoon in a move that bolsters the depth on their offensive line. Hawkins played tackle for Philadelphia during the preseason, but he has the versatility to play guard.
Here’s a quick scouting report on the new acquisition:
Games Studied: Philadelphia vs. Chicago, New England, Pittsburgh – Preseason 2014 Read
- Hawkins lined up at right tackle for the Eagles in the preseason. I believe we will see him get some work at guard as well. Measured at 6-5, 310. Read
- There is some strike and explosion with his initial punch. Can get a defender going back when he comes off the ball. Can get some movement with his surge. You see him come off the ball and really try to climb his blocks. Wants to get as close as he can to defender to get that push.
- Nice contact balance when he engages with his block. Plays well on his feet. Did not see him reaching or overextending on his blocks.
- Is not limited in his upper body strength and power. Good body control and balance. Was able to sink his hips and play through them.
- I’d like to see better foot quickness, which would help with his lateral agility. Is able to get outside to work to the rusher but needs to do it quicker. Is able to recover once he gets going.
- Really works to finish his blocks. Effort is very good. Not a lazy player at all.
- Good initial set on his pass block. Athletic in the way that he handles counter moves. Did not see him in many poor blocking positions. Able to work against stunts and twists. Did a nice job of showing awareness in how he handled stunts.
- Is consistent in the way that he plays with his techniques. For a young player he is not up and down in the way he plays.