DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
You are here
Possible Pick: UGA’s Michel Dynamic With The Ball; Familiar With RB Rotation
(Editor’s Note: While the start of the 2017 NFL Draft isn’t until April 26, it’s never too early to profile some of the key participants. The staff of DallasCowboys.com intends to preview the landscape of the draft’s top prospect, with an emphasis on possible Cowboys draft picks – from the first round to the last. Today’s featured player is Georgia running back Sony Michel.)
- Name: Sony Michel
- Position: Running Back
- College: Georgia
- Height/Weight: 5-11/ 215
- Honors: A third-team All-SEC selection in his senior season in 2017, which is quite an accomplishment considering he split time with All-SEC standout Nick Chubb. Named Offensive MVP of the Rose Bowl with four touchdowns, including game-winner in overtime.
- Key Stat: For all the production and excitement, an interesting part of Michel’s game is that he still hasn’t had a lot of wear and tear on his body. In four seasons, Michel had just 656 carries and only 309 over the last two years.
Where He’s Projected:
Before the combine and his Pro Day, Michel is still looking like a solid Day 2 pick, probably in the second round. But don’t forget, players like him can fit better in different offenses. While a team might have a third-or-fourth round grade on him, others might see his skills much higher, and target him later in the first round. How he runs the 40 will definitely affect his draft status.
How He Helps The Cowboys:
Obviously the Cowboys have one of the NFL’s best runners in Ezekiel Elliott, a player that was sorely missed when he served his six-game suspension. But the Cowboys could probably use another dynamic weapon in the backfield to complement Zeke. Michel, or a player, like him with his ability to be a third-down back, would give the Cowboys an option to pick up blitzes and catch screen passes, without having to keep Zeke on the field the entire time.
- In a deep draft of running backs, this is a guy that I’d really like to have.
- There is a lot to like about his game and the style in which he plays.
- Alternated with Nick Chubb to form one of the best one-two punches in the nation.
- Built low to the ground and thick.
- Explosive to and through the hole before the defense has a chance to react.
- Punishing runner that bounces off tacklers.
- Type of back that makes you pay for non committed or weak tackles.
- Square built body that dishes out punishment.
- Will need to develop some complete back traits.
- Didn’t have the ball thrown to him much so will need work in that area.
- Will also need technique work as a pass blocker but with his toughness this shouldn’t be a problem.
- Could be a featured back in an offense or continue to split snaps like he did in college.
- Either way, the club that drafts him has a chance to hit on a big time player.