DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
You are here
Possible Pick: Vols RB Kelly Runs With Tenacity, Energy Similar to Elliott
(Editor’s Note: While the start of the 2017 NFL Draft isn’t until April 26, it’s never too early to profile some of the key participants. The staff of DallasCowboys.com intends to preview the landscape of the draft’s top prospect, with an emphasis on possible Cowboys draft picks – from the first round to the last. Today’s featured player is Tennessee running back John Kelly.)
- Name: John Kelly
- Position: Running Back
- College: Tennessee
- Height/Weight: 6-1 / 196
- Key Stat: Kelly had a great start to the 2017 season, scoring four touchdowns to help Tennessee rally past Georgia Tech for a wild, 42-41 victory to kick off the year.
Where He’s Projected:
Some off-the-field issues at Tennessee might hurt his stock somewhat, but Kelly’s production will help. He jumps off the tape with his running style and there will be some teams that fall in love with his tenacity. With that, he’s probably a Day 2 back with a chance to slip into the fourth or fifth round. Read
How He Helps The Cowboys:
He might not have the breakaway ability as Elliott, but Kelly would be a nice complement in the Cowboys’ offense because his running style is similar to Zeke. The Cowboys wouldn’t lose much when going to Kelly, who is a strong, physical runner much like the Cowboys’ starting tailback. This team needs a younger, athletic back without spending a really high pick on him.
- One of my “Pet Cats” along with Mark Walton from Miami, Really do like what this player brings to the field.
- Shorter guy but explosive.
- Has some of those complete back traits.
- Catches the ball well.
- Good in open space with the ball in his hands.
- Keeps his balance.
- Tough runner.
- Strong with his stiff arm.
- Can make the first guy miss.
- Effort is good as a pass blocker.
- Nice ability to get through the hole. Vision to see and then go.
- Shows the ability to go inside or out.
- Patience as a runner.
- Will allow blocks to develop and then work off them.
- Nice job adjusting to the ball up the field.
- Would fit nicely as that backup runner when your main guy needed a rest.
- Talented guy.