SAN DIEGO – I’ll have more in-depth analysis when I’ve had a chance to watch the game tape. For now, here’s a dozen quick impressions from the Cowboys’ preseason loss to San Diego – as seen from the radio booth at Qualcomm Stadium.
- The battle between
Joseph Randleand Ryan Williamsat running back will go down to the final blitz pickup. They both run the ball tough and catch it well, but who can stand in there and keep rushers off Tony Romois going to get that spot.
- If you don't play with your hands and shed blocks at the point of attack, you are going to have a bad defense -- I don't care how much talent you think you have. The Chargers did a much better job of coming off the ball and sustaining their blocks. The Cowboys front seven had no answer for that.
- I would not want to be hit by
- Was not surprised by the way
Brandon Weedenplayed, but I was surprised by how much mobility he showed to get to the outside and deliver that ball to James Hanna. I was always positive that he was going to get rid of the ball out of bounds, but he did a nice job of keeping his eyes down the field to make the throw.
- Without watching the tape, I like what I saw from
Mackenzy Bernadeauat center. He appeared to play on his feet, and when he had to make a reach or a cutoff block, he did a nice job of securing those blocks. He wasn't slow or sluggish at all.
- Don't give up on
Terrance Mitchell. The kid played the whole game and at times was technique poor, but Jerome Henderson and Joe Baker will continue to work with him. This was a great learning experience for him.
- Really nice hit by
Justin Duranton the goal line to knock the ball loose from Ryan Mathews. I haven't given him nearly enough credit for his play making ability, but he continues to keep showing up in practices and now games.
- Was disappointed that I didn't see more in production from
Chris Boyd. Thought he had a chance to come down with that 3rd down pass late in the game from Dustin Vaughan. It appeared that he misjudged it in flight.
- I believe that if the league passed this 33-yard extra point rule I would be a fan. Each time it was attempted, I paid closer attention to the kick.
- I will be interested, when I study the tape from this game, if
Kenneth Boatrightdid a better job than Martez Wilsonat defensive end?
- If I worked in this front office, I would lobby to not play Dustin Vaughan in any more snaps. I think this kid showed great poise hanging in the pocket and I am not interested in letting anyone study his film and take him from me.
- I wish that everyone could do a Cowboys game on radio with Brad Sham.