IRVING, Texas – The Cowboys acquired
Games Studied: Kansas City, Seattle, San Francisco ’13; Green Bay ‘14
- Edwards was drafted to play as a 4-3 defensive end and not in the current 3-4 scheme that Tennessee defensive coordinator Ray Horton likes to use.
- Has played as both the left and right defensive end during his career. Feel like that he is better suited to play on the left side for the Cowboys.
- Physically doesn’t appear to be a big player on tape, but you will see him extend with his hands and control the blocker. Will sit down and try to fight his man one-on-one. Thought his hand use was much better playing the run than the pass.
- There were snaps where he was able to anchor down at the point of attack and force the ball back inside to his teammates. Wasn’t as good in the Seattle game dealing with Paul McQuistan, who got after him pretty good but overall was able to strike and shed in the running game.
- Would not say his initial quickness or burst is special. Was expecting more from him in this area. Felt like his pursuit speed and lateral quickness were just okay. There were times where he looked like he was running hard but not covering much ground. Thought there were some plays that he could have made running from the backside had he had a burst.
- Believe that he plays with football intelligence and discipline. Was solid with his techniques against the Seahawks when defending the read-option. Did a nice job of staying square and forcing Russell Wilson to have to keep the ball only for a short gain. Was able to execute the same techniques against the 49ers. Did a nice job of playing on his feet and using body control.
- If there is an area that he could use improvement in, it is as a pass rusher. Needs to win right off the snap in order to have a chance to have success. Would have liked to see more initial quickness along with counter moves as he is going up the field. He’s a very average rusher when he doesn’t try moves. Only sack that I observed happened in the preseason against the Packers while playing reduced over the guard and went with a quick arm over.
- There were too many snaps where he would go up the field engage the blocker and fight in once spot. Even with the strength that he showed playing the run it was hard for him to get rid of his man. Thought there needed to be much more finish to his rush.