Join Mickey, Bryan, and Rowan as they breakdown all of the latest Cowboys news.
COLLEGE: The Dallas Cowboys wrapped up their 2012 NFL Draft by selecting their fifth defensive player and second linebacker with their pick of Caleb McSurdy in the seventh round (222nd overall). McSurdy is a strong, physical player with a knack for making tackles having led Montana in tackles his final two seasons. He will need to make an impression on special teams in hopes of earning a roster spot as a rookie.
4/28/12: Drafted in the seventh round (222nd overall) by Dallas.
• Led the team for the second straight season with 130 tackles and had the second-highest sack figure (4.0), playing in 14 games as a senior.
• Posted double-digit tackles through each of the first four games, including a career-high tying 17 against Cal Poly.
• Logged his first sack of the season in the opener at Tennessee.
• Intercepted a pass against Northern Colorado.
• Had a 14-tackle game with a forced fumble and two hurries against Western Oregon.
• Closed out his collegiate career with four tackles and an interception returned 61 yards for a touchdown in the finale at Sam Houston State.
• As a junior, started all 11 games for the Grizzlies and led the team with 112 tackles while finishing fourth with 7 tackles for losses.
• Was a second-team All-Big Sky Conference selection, posting 11-or-more tackles in six games.
• Posted seven-plus tackles in every game but the opener.
• Finished with a streak of double-digit tackles through the last three games - 16 at Weber State, 12 against North Dakota then a career-best 17 against Montana State.
• Earned All-League Academic Team pick for the third consecutive year.
• Played in all 15 games and tied for 13th on the defense with 32 tackles as a sophomore.
• Had a then season-high four tackles against Cal Poly then picked off his first career pass at Sacramento State.
• Posted a season-high seven stops against Stephen F. Austin.
• Finished fourth in the 2010 Big Sky Conference track and field meet in the discus with a career-best throw of 161’, 2 1/4” throw.
• Also placed sixth in the shot put with a career-long toss of 53’, 1”.
• Played in all 16 games as a true freshman and tallied 18 tackles and a forced fumble.
• Had a season-high three tackles against Central Washington and again against Texas State.
• Forced a fumble at James Madison.
• Qualified in the discus and shot put in the 2009 Big Sky track and field meet.
• Earned three letters in football and four in track and field through his prep career at Borah High School in Boise, Id.
• Was an all-state linebacker and tight end as a senior, posting 65 tackles along with 22 catches for 232 yards and four touchdowns.
• Named all-conference three times and was a team captain in football as a junior and senior.
• Was an organizational communications major at Montana.
• 2012 Rookie Club presented by UnitedHealthcare.• 2012 Dallas Cowboys U High School Camp.