Join Mickey, Bryan, and Rowan as they breakdown all of the latest Cowboys news.
COLLEGE: With the loss of Martellus Bennett in free agency, the Cowboys were in need of a young, talented tight end and found that with their selection of James Hanna in the sixth round (186th overall) of the 2012 NFL Draft. Hanna’s impressive mixture of size, speed and hands will help him as he battles with John Phillips for the second tight end position and learns from one of the best in the league, Jason Witten. Hanna finished his career at Oklahoma, starting 27-of-53 games and recording 52 receptions for 720 yards (13.9 average) with nine touchdowns. Both his career receptions and yardage total placed eighth on the Sooners all-time list for tight ends, while his seven touchdowns in 2010 were good for third among tight ends for a single season.
4/28/12: Drafted in the sixth round (186th overall) by Dallas.
• Named All-Big 12 Conference second-team and Super Sleeper Team by The NFL Draft Report as a senior.
• Started all 13 games at tight end posting 27 receptions for 381 yards (14.1 avg.) and two touchdowns.
• Also added three tackles on special teams.
• Opened the season with catches for 46 yards against Tulsa.
• Posted his first score of the season on a six-yard grab against Ball State, finishing with two receptions for 11 yards.
• Added three receptions for 49 yards, including a 22-yard touchdown, against Texas Tech.
• Had a season-high 90 yards on four catches at Baylor.
• Earned All-Big 12 honorable mention as he started 12-of-14 games as a junior.
• Finished with 18 receptions for 292 yards (16.2 avg.) and seven touchdowns.
• Added one tackle on special teams along with two kickoff returns for nine yards.
• Recorded his first career touchdown, a 46-yarder, against Florida State.
• Had two receptions for 12 yards, including a two-yard touchdown, in the Red River Rivalry.
• Added a three-yard scoring grab in each of his next two games – against Iowa State and Missouri.
• Posted another scoring catch, this time from seven yards, against Colorado.
• Had a career-best 130 receiving yards on four catches against Oklahoma State – including a 76-yard touchdown catch that proved to be the game-winner.
• Closed out the year with an eight-yard touchdown reception against Connecticut in the Fiesta Bowl.
• Appeared in all 13 games, earning two starts at tight end, catching six passes for 48 yards.
• Had a season-long 19-yard reception against Kansas State.
• Played in 13 games, mainly on special teams, where he recorded two tackles.
• Selected Class 5A/Region 1 District VI Offensive MVP as a senior at Flower Mound, Texas, High School.
• Earned Texas Sports Writers All-State Team as a wide receiver, ranked 20th in the nation as a tight end by Scout.com, 13th nationally by ESPN.com and was the 32nd best overall player in the state of Texas – 11th best tight end – by Rivals.com.
• Hauled in 53 passes for 764 yards (14.4 avg.) with 11 touchdowns as senior while adding 17 rushes for 131 yards, five punt returns for 145 yards with one touchdown – 71 yards – and six kickoff returns for 181 yards with another score.
• As a junior, had 20 receptions for 330 yards (16.5 avg.) and two touchdowns.
• Was a multidisciplinary studies major at Oklahoma.
• 2012 Rookie Club presented by UnitedHealthcare.• 2012 Dallas Cowboys U High School Camp.