'Boys Say Spencer Extension Is Possible

With Anthony Spencer and Mike Jenkins in the fold, the starting outside linebacker and cornerback jobs are not exactly up in the air for 2012.

Both players have just a year left on their contracts, however, suggesting the Cowboys' needs at those positions are bigger than they appear at first glance.

Still, the team doesn't feel obligated to pick either position. Owner and general manager Jerry Jones pointed out on Tuesday that the Cowboys could very easily sign Spencer to an extension if and when they want to do so. The 28-year-old has hired a new agent with hopes of landing a long-term deal.

"You're an afternoon away from having Spencer with five years left under his contract," Jones said, speaking figuratively. "You don't know, and it takes two to tango there, obviously. You can really remedy a contract situation if you think the player merits it. We must think Spencer is a real top player for us to have franchised him, and we do."

On Monday, Spencer signed his one-year franchise tender worth $8.8 million. The Cowboys would likely save money against the salary cap in 2012 if they extended him.

While there is an open dialogue between the two sides, the Cowboys say no deal is imminent on the Spencer front.

"But they can happen fast," Stephen Jones said.

As for Jenkins, the Cowboys say they have room in the budget to dole out another big-money cornerback contract, if they so choose.

Earlier this offseason they inked free agent corner Brandon Carr to a deal exceeding $50 million. Last year, slot corner Orlando Scandrick got $27 million over five years.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.
Advertising