FRISCO, Texas – There's nothing to announce yet, but it sounds like progress is being made in Dak Prescott's contract negotiations.
Speaking to reporters Wednesday following the Cowboys' second OTA practice of the offseason, Prescott confirmed that his representatives have sent a counter offer in response to an initial offer from the team's front office.
Whether that means a deal is imminent, Prescott wasn't sure. After all, this is his first experience in a big-time negotiation.
"I can't really say on that – it's one from each side," he said. "This is my first time doing this. Ask me in a few years and I'll be able to tell you 'We've sent this one, they've sent this one, we're about to get it done.' But right now I'm learning the process to it and just letting my team handle their business."
That was more or less Prescott's response when he was asked about his contract last week at the Reliant Home Run Derby. It's anyone's guess when exactly a deal will be agreed to, but the Cowboys' quarterback is confident it will get done in time.
If he's not feeling pressed about the issue, he's probably in the minority. Discussions about Prescott's next contract have been a contentious topic during this Cowboys offseason. There are many who would like to see the three-year starter do more to prove himself worthy of a mega-extension, while there is also plenty of evidence that suggests he has already earned it.
Major contract extensions given to Russell Wilson and Ben Roethlisberger only fuel the fire, as it becomes increasingly likely that Prescott will eventually sign on for an annual salary of at least $30 million per year.
For his part – and as per usual – Prescott said he isn't worried about contract figures, noting that a lot of those variables are out of his control.
"When you look at numbers, I think a lot of it is about the market," he said. "So I don't really pay attention to any of that. I come in and I just prove myself each and every day to the guys in this locker room."