What's The Scoop:
While Cowboys first-round draft picks Felix Jones and Mike Jenkins did agree to five-year deals Friday night, they could not arrive here at the River Ridge Sports Complex in Oxnard, Calif., in time for Saturday morning's first of two practices.
- Ask any coach, and he will insist that there is no fixed depth chart at this point. The starters are pretty much all determined, yes, but there's been a lot of mixing and matching after that. Tight ends Tony Curtis and second-round pick Martellus Bennett have been splitting second team reps, and pretty much every receiver this side of Terrell Owens and Patrick Crayton, has caught passes from all four quarterbacks.
- A couple former Cowboys attended the morning practice: Wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson (2004-05) and running back Duane Thomas (1970-71). Johnson was apparently not here on ESPN duty, as he chatted up a few of the coaches in the middle of the field during practice. One person he probably didn't chat up was Terrell Owens, with whom Johnson exchanged barbs through the media last season. When asked if he had talked to Johnson after practice, Owens turned his head and walked away.
- When both picks officially sign (they've both agreed to terms, and the pens will be put to paper later on Saturday), the Cowboys 80-man roster will stand at 79. Jerry Jones has stated his intention to bring in another receiver, and a Cowboys source said that the team is looking at a bunch of young free-agent receivers, with one expected to be signed soon.
- As could be expected, partially reinstated cornerback Adam Jones practiced as the primary punt returner. In two seasons with the Titans, Jones had four punts returned for touchdowns. Also practicing catching punts were wide receiver Patrick Crayton and cornerback Terence Newman, both of whom split time at the position last season.
- The last time the Cowboys were featured on HBO's Hard Knocks, Campo was the head coach. This year, HBO seems to be interested in doing a then-and-now segment on Campo, because they had him mic-ed for the morning practice and have had a camera bird-dogging him all day.
You Should've Seen:
Perhaps to appease the masses of fans watching, quarterback Tony Romo hurled a deep pass to Owens in team drills that would have gone for a touchdown. Owens caught the ball over his shoulder with Terence Newman defending, eliciting a huge cheer from the crowd. Newman picked off a pass intended for Owens earlier in the day, although that one was thrown by third-stringer Richard Bartel.
Jason Hatcher. Both Hatcher and fellow defensive end Stephen Bowen received some first-team reps during team drills, and Hatcher made the most of the opportunity, batting down a Tony Romo pass at the line of scrimmage. Both Jerry Jones and head coach Wade Phillips have recently spoken highly of Hatcher, who should push starter Marcus Spears for some playing time.
Jeff Terrell. Yes, it's only his second practice with the Cowboys in camp, but the first-year veteran hasn't impressed since arriving. In Friday's lone practice, he tossed an interception and also lofted what looked more like a dead bird than a pass, and on Saturday he had another pass picked off.
RB Felix Jones (unsigned contract)
CB Mike Jenkins (unsigned contract)
Returned to Practice:
WR Terry Glenn, waived (7/25)
QB Jeff Terrell, signed (7/25)
LB Khari Long, waived (7/24)
"Ow."- responding to a question about Junior Seau (Say-Ow).Get it?