ARLINGTON, Texas – Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett declined comment Tuesday regarding the domestic violence allegation reportedly directed at Ezekiel Elliott last week by a former girlfriend of the rookie running back, but he does expect Elliott to be available for the start of training camp practice in Oxnard, Calif., this weekend.
"We believe we know all about Ezekiel Elliott and what he's about as a person," Garrett said at the team's annual Coaches Clinic at AT&T Stadium for approximately 600 youth, middle and high school football coaches. "I think it would be premature to make any comment beyond that."
Asked if the reported allegation would affect Elliott's status for the start of camp, Garrett said, "We don't anticipate that."
Elliott has adamantly denied the reported allegation, and last Friday afternoon his father, Stacy Elliott, released this statement:
"The reported allegations and Internet postings regarding our son are completely false. Ezekiel has done nothing wrong. The police have investigated this matter and eyewitnesses have verified the lack of any wrongdoing. The actual evidence in this matter clearly indicates what the real motivation was behind the police being called. We are confident that when the truth comes to light it will reveal the falsity of these claims. Ezekiel has been fully cooperative with the police and will continue to do so—along with cooperating with the NFL—moving forward."
The fourth overall pick in April's draft, Ezekiel Elliott is widely considered the favorite to start for a deep running back group that includes free agent signing Alfred Morris and last year's 1,000-yard rusher Darren McFadden. The rookie took first-team reps in minicamp after McFadden underwent surgery on his elbow.