What's The Scoop:
Drew Bledsoe and Terrell Owens won't make their preseason debut together Monday night against the New Orleans Saints.
Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells said Bledsoe will start Monday in Shreveport, La., but that he won't play Owens, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing 14 consecutive sessions with a sore left hamstring.
"Well he got some pretty good work in this week," Parcells said of Owens, who did not practice Saturday afternoon. "I just don't want to start over next week. So hopefully his first real game action will be next weekend.
"It's just a natural course of events. I don't think you can get ready to play football practicing four or five days. I think you need more than that."
Meanwhile, Bledsoe will make his debut after sitting out last Saturday's preseason opener at Seattle. Parcells wanted to evaluate Romo, who played the entire game and completed 19-of-25 passes for 235 yards and a touchdown in a 13-3 Cowboys victory.
"Just coming and being sharp, executing with our offense and putting the ball in the end zone," Bledsoe said when asked what he wants to accomplish Monday.
Parcells has suggested Bledsoe and Romo could take all of the snaps against the Saints. He didn't say how much Bledsoe will play.
- The Cowboys waived rookies Demetris Summers and Sam Taulealea, which trimmed their training camp roster to 79 players. Taulealea had been the fourth nose tackle in camp, and Summers' reps were scarce behind running backs Julius Jones, Marion Barber, Tyson Thompson, Lousaka Polite and Keylon Kincade.
- Owens dropped a pass from Bledsoe over the middle, prompting a collective groan from the River Ridge Complex crowd.
- Wide receiver LaShaun Ward and rookie quarterback Matt Baker each were ordered to run to the fence at the far end of the practice field after suffering mental lapses.
- Shaun Suisham and Tyler Fredrickson both made field goals from 27 and 32 yards out. Mike Vanderjagt still is not kicking.
- Rookie tight end Anthony Fasano just can't catch a break from the Cowboys' secondary. The second-round pick received an accidental pop from cornerback Terence Newman after making a tough catch in team drills. Fasano, who was limping as he returned to the huddle, took a jarring hit from safety Roy Williams earlier in the week.
- Newman picked off a Bledsoe pass and took it down the left sideline for what would have been a touchdown, drawing applause from a some idle golfers on the River Ridge course perched above practice.
- Rookie wide receiver Sam Hurd made an acrobatic catch during team drills, and cornerback Aaron Glenn reached out for a tough interception at the end of practice.
You Should've Seen:
Tight end Sean Ryan sporting his new Mohawk haircut at Saturday's morning practice. Rookie linemen are subject to such hairstyles, but the third-year tight end apparently chose this one for himself, to go along with his beard.
With camp ending Sunday, Sam Hurd has emerged as one of the biggest surprises here over the last three weeks. The rookie free agent from Northern Illinois has put himself in position for a roster spot with solid catches and knowledge of more than one receiver position.
As it stands now, Patrick Crayton will be the only player not practicing when the Cowboys head back to Dallas. The third-year wide receiver was expected to miss at least a week with the high ankle sprain he suffered last Saturday against Seattle, but it's possible he could be out longer.
S Justin Beriault, knee, expected to retire (8/14)
WR Patrick Crayton, sprained ankle (8/14)
WR Patrick Crayton (ankle)
Returned to Practice:
RB Demetris Summers, released (8/19)
DT Sam Taulealea, released (8/19)
WR Charlie Adams' trade nullified, failed physical (8/18)
WR Charlie Adams, acquired in trade from Denver for 2007 sixth-round pick (8/17)
S Justin Beriault, to be designated (8/14)
DE Jason Davis, released (8/14)
TE Erik Jensen, signed (8/9)
WR LaShaun Ward, signed (8/9)
QB Matt Baker, signed (8/6)
LB Kai Parham, released (8/6)
QB Jeff Mroz, released (8/6)
DE Vontrell Jamison, released (8/2)
DE Jason Davis, signed (8/1)
LB J.J. Horne, released (7/31)
WR Ahmad Merritt, released (7/31)
CB Byron Parker, released (7/31)
TE Brett Pierce, placed on injured reserve (7/31)
T Flozell Adams moved from PUP to active roster (7/30)
LB Bobby Carpenter, signed (7/29)
T E.J. Whitley, placed on injured reserve (7/29)
T Flozell Adams, placed on active PUP (7/28)
S Darrell Brooks, released (7/28)
G Shannon Snell, released (7/28)
"I told you, I don't buy green bananas. I'm always looking for the guy that can help me now." - Parcells on the issue of juggling the roster decisions of keeping players who can contribute now with the ones who might help months down the road.