What's The Scoop:
Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells is in the market for a wide receiver, and not just a camp body.
Parcells said the Cowboys are actively talking with teams about possibly trading for a receiver. The club's receiver depth has gotten noticeably thinner with Terrell Owens missing his sixth consecutive day of practice with a sore left hamstring and Terry Glenn recently slowed by foot blisters.
"I think we're trying to be as proactive on it as we can and see what might be available, see the teams that are heavy at that position," Parcells said. "I think we could be heavy at a spot or two, so maybe we'll be able to do some business."
Parcells said he hasn't settled on a depth chart behind Owens and Glenn. The Cowboys have worked out former Eagles receiver Freddie Mitchell and rookie Markee Wright in the last three days.
"I don't want to run these guys to death here that I got," Parcells said.
Owens missed practice again Wednesday morning but appeared to be running well on his sore left hamstring after practice. Parcells said he hasn't spoken with Owens about whether he'll play Saturday.
With Owens out, rookie receiver Sam Hurd worked with the first-team offense alongside Glenn, who jumped back into practice after missing Monday and practicing on a limited basis Tuesday with blisters on the bottom of his feet. Patrick Crayton, a top candidate for the No. 3 job, has made several impressive catches the last two days.
- The Cowboys signed first-year tight end Erik Jensen on Tuesday. Jensen recently was cut by Pittsburgh after the 2004 seventh-round pick spent his first two seasons on the St. Louis Rams practice squad.
- Parcells will practice his players in shells Wednesday afternoon. "I'm going to give a little, I don't want to say 'break', because it's a test," he said. "If they do a good job they might get another chance to go in shells someday soon."
- Parcells said he expects defensive end Marcus Spears to return to practice by next Monday. Spears had his knee scoped July 30 to repair torn meniscus in his knee.
- Cornerback Terence Newman didn't participate in team or 7-on-7 drills for the second consecutive practice. He was limping Tuesday on what appeared to be a sore left ankle.
- Second-year running back Tyson Thompson ran with the first team for second straight day, though Parcells has tried to rotate players at several positions in practice.
- Cornerback Aaron Glenn picked off a Drew Bledsoe pass intended for Patrick Crayton, who appeared to stop his slant route prematurely and was admonished by receivers coach Todd Haley for letting the defensive back cross his face. Crayton redeemed himself later with a beautiful touchdown grab from Tony Romo in the corner of the end zone.
- Rookie offensive tackle Pat McQuistan rankled Parcells by forgetting a play during red-zone drills. Parcells said he plans to give McQuistan extensive playing time in Saturday's preseason game, however.
- In an effort to get the ball out more quickly, the quarterbacks worked with a timer set at 2.5 seconds in 7-on-7 drills.
You Should've Seen:
Parcells seemingly watching his language with NFL Films surveying Wednesday's morning practice. Disgusted with a play in red-zone drills, Parcells kept himself in check with a "gosh dangit".
Quarterback Drew Henson has thrown crisp passes and made better decisions since Saturday's scrimmage, where he engineered two touchdown drives. He threw a perfect deep ball to Jamaica Rector in 7-on-7 drills.
Kicker Mike Vanderjagt missed all three of his field-goal attempts from 33, 38 and 43 yards out. His leg seemed to lack an explosive punch.
LB Rocky Boiman, fractured right thumb (8/7), surgery (8/8)
WR Terrell Owens, sore hamstring (8/3)
S Justin Beriault, mild concussion (7/31)
DE Marcus Spears, knee (meniscus) - had knee scoped (7/30)
LB Rocky Boiman (thumb)
WR Terrell Owens (hamstring)
S Justin Beriault (concussion)
DE Marcus Spears (knee surgery)
Returned to Practice:
TE Erik Jensen, signed (8/9)
QB Matt Baker, signed (8/6)
LB Kai Parham, released (8/6)
QB Jeff Mroz, released (8/6)
DE Vontrell Jamison, released (8/2)
DE Jason Davis, signed (8/1)
LB J.J. Horne, released (7/31)
WR Ahmad Merritt, released (7/31)
CB Byron Parker, released (7/31)
TE Brett Pierce, placed on injured reserve (7/31)
T Flozell Adams moved from PUP to active roster (7/30)
LB Bobby Carpenter, signed (7/29)
T E.J. Whitley, placed on injured reserve (7/29)
T Flozell Adams, placed on active PUP (7/28)
S Darrell Brooks, released (7/28)
G Shannon Snell, released (7/28)
"I don't know who's probably going to be our (number) three, four, five receiver yet. I mean, I know you guys have got it all figured out, got your rosters almost complete and turning them in soon. But that's only because you have a deadline. My deadline isn't for a while." - Parcells on deciding his depth chart at wide receiver.