(Editor's Note: While the start of the 2018 NFL Draft isn't until April 26, it's never too early to profile some of the key participants. The staff of DallasCowboys.com intends to preview the landscape of the draft's top prospect, with an emphasis on possible Cowboys draft picks – from the first round to the last. Today's featured player is Virginia Tech linebacker Tremaine Edmunds)
- Name: Tremaine Edmunds
- Position: Linebacker
- College:Virginia Tech
- Height/Weight:6-4 / 253
- Honors: Finalist for the Butkus Award in 2017 for the nation's top linebacker, along with third-team All-American honors.
- Key Stat:Recorded over 100 tackles for two straight seasons for the Hokies, along with 5.5 sacks in 2017.
Where He's Projected:
If Edmunds makes it out of the Top 10, it will be surprising to most draft analysts. Although linebackers tend to drop somewhat, but that doesn't seem to be the case for Edmunds, who seems to be the ideal prototype at linebacker, and could really fit in any scheme. If it's not Georgia's Roquan Smith, Edmunds is likely to be the first LB taken off the board, long before the Cowboys pick at No. 19.
How He Helps The Cowboys:
If he were to fall that far to the Cowboys, or if Dallas decided to trade up and get him, Edmunds would be a great fit in the Cowboys' 4-3 scheme. He has the ability to play all across the board, likely starting out as the SAM, but playing a lot on nickel and dime packages. He has pass-rushing ability with 10 sacks in the last two years.
- Can't draw them up any better than this kid.
- Outstanding height/weight/speed.
- Is a physically an imposing player.
- Flows well to the ball.
- Can work through the trash.
- For a tall guy, does a really nice job of making himself small and working through the cracks.
- Ease of movement.
- Can hit the gap quickly when he sees it.
- Is a wrap up tackler.
- Ball carriers stop in their tracks when he delivers a blow.
- Used a blitzer.
- Will need to develop a little better feel for how to rush at the proper depth and not get washed around the quarterback.
- Does a nice job in coverage of reading the play and then reacting to the ball.
- Plays as if he's assignment sound.
- Not going to get fooled or make many mistakes.
- Has the ability to play all three linebacker positions.
- Most likely the 2nd best linebacker on many boards in this draft and for good reason.
- Heck of a player.