FRISCO, Texas – Don't look for the Cowboys to make any moves at backup quarterback – at least not right now.
It's a logical question to ask, given the variety of options available across the NFL right now. From the time the league deadline to cut roster from 90 to 53, several notable quarterbacks have been released – including Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook.
Asked about it Tuesday morning, though, Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said there's no interest at this time.
There had been some speculation that Jones might want to take a look at his backup quarterback spot. Cooper Rush did not impress during the Cowboys' preseason, and he famously coveted Lynch during the 2016 NFL Draft, when he was outbid by Denver in an effort to trade up for the quarterback.
The Cowboys also had interest in Cook, who went off the draft board just before their selection when the Oakland Raiders traded up for him.
Despite that, Jones said the Cowboys are happy to continue developing Rush. The logic goes back to that 2016 season, when Dak Prescott got his chance to start because of a rash of injuries.
"Dak was so fortunate to be able to get those snaps, and one of the reasons he was able to get those snaps is if we didn't have a veteran quarterback out there to take them," Jones said. "Had we had a veteran quarterback after Romo went down, and we had had an obvious place to go with one that we thought would give us a better opening game quarterback, Prescott would have never got to see the light of day, more than likely."
There's no telling whether Rush would be as successful if given the opportunity – and the Cowboys probably hope they won't have to find out. But for the time being, it sounds like they'd rather continue to work with the guy they already have than begin a new project.