FRISCO, Texas – The second of five open training camp practices at Ford Center is complete as the Cowboys inch closer to Saturday’s preseason game against the Houston Texans at AT&T Stadium.
Here are some highlights from Wednesday’s session:
- The two-minute drill was a spirited back-and-forth between the offense and defense. The offense started the period trailing, 24-21, with roughly 1:00 to play near midfield. Dak Prescott moved his group into field goal position with a nice catch-and-run to Randall Cobb, and then he continued to find Jason Witten underneath, working all the way down to the 6-yard line. With 10 seconds to play, the defense responded. Prescott looked for Witten once again, throwing down the seam to the back of the end zone. Joe Thomas was in fantastic position, nabbing the interception to kill the drive in its tracks.
- Donovan Olumba continues to make a case for a roster spot. The first-year cornerback made plays on the ball throughout practice. In one-on-one pass drills from inside the 10-yard line, he broke up a would-be touchdown pass to Michael Gallup on a comeback route and forced Reggie Davis out of bounds in the end zone. He also ended practice with a pass breakup on fourth-and-1 in situational team drills with the defense protecting a three-point lead.
- The one-on-one pass rush drill produced a mini-scuffle between offensive tackle Jake Campos and defensive tackle Daniel Wise. Campos essentially tackled Wise to the ground on their first rep, and Wise took exception to a shove on the next rep. Teammates quickly broke up the brief shoving match.
- The offense got even thinner at tight end Wednesday. Codey McElroy (stinger) joined Blake Jarwin (foot) and Dalton Schultz (ankle) on the injury report, leaving only Jason Witten and recently-signed Marcus Lucas available. To compensate, the Cowboys have used more multi-receiver sets in recent practices, and fullback Jamize Olawale pitched in at tight end.
- Linebacker Sean Lee has jumped back into team drills this week after sitting out most of the Oxnard portion with a sprained knee. He got a would-be sack on Dak Prescott rushing from the edge.
- Rookie linebacker Justin Phillips followed up his preseason interception against the Rams with a pick near the goal-line in one-on-one drills, perfectly reading an inside route by running back Darius Jackson.
- Rookie offensive lineman Brandon Knight returned to practice after missing the last two weeks with a foot injury. The Cowboys had moved Knight from offensive tackle to guard before his injury.