FRISCO, Texas – Here’s my scouting report on new Cowboys defensive lineman Christian Covington, who signed a one-year free agent contract on Thursday:
Name: Christian Covington
Draft: 6th Round (Texans) in 2015
Games Studied: 2018 against Tennessee (2), Indianapolis, Philadelphia.
- Listed as a defensive end in 3-4 scheme. Plays inside more as a tackle or nose than end.
- Breaks the blocker down with power. Plays with some violence with his hands. Especially tough when he gets on the edge of the blocker.
- Can create push inside to help in the twist game. Gets his teammates home with penetration. Several snaps where he was the reason the rusher got home.
- Plays with redirection skills. Can adjust in the pocket. Doesn’t get washed on plays. Aware player that finds the ball. Did well on the screen.
- Outstanding effort to chase the ball when thrown underneath. Peeled back to help on the tackle.
- Will use a spin move to free himself as he’s attacking the pocket. Not many pass rush moves; gets by with power. Have to respect how he stays after his rush.
- Will get low to the ground when taking on the double team. Doesn’t allow blockers to move him. Power to fight the blocks and get off them.
- Stays square to play the run.
- Should be part of the rotation at nose tackle with Antwaun Woods. Gives you a similar type of player there with the strength/power. Active like Woods as well. Not going to quit on the play.