Name: Joe Thomas
College: South Carolina State
Draft:Signed undrafted with Green Bay in 2014
Games Studied:2017 vs. Denver, Carolina; 2016 vs. Minnesota
- Interestingly, Thomas was on the Cowboys' practice squad during the 2015 season.
- Nice short area quickness. Can cover some ground when he's on the move.
- Plays with a burst, which helps him with his range. Can change directions quickly in order to get back to the ball.
- He tackles well in space. There were plenty snaps where he was one-on-one with the ball carrier and was able to bring him down.
- Plays with good upper body strength. Uses his hands to disengage from blocks. You don't see him get caught up on blockers.
- His contact balance is where it needs to be. You don't see him getting washed or knocked around.
- Plays with the ability to strike/explode. If he gets a clean shot, he's going to take it.
- Majority of his coverage stuff is underneath. He drops in zone and reacts. I only saw one time where I thought he was in poor shape taking a back in the red zone.
- Has the athletic ability to carry his man up the field.
- Lines up on the majority of special teams. He's the R5 on the kick off team, the center on kick off return, wing on the punt team and a blocker on the punt return team. His athletic ability helps him in all of these areas.
- This is a depth player that helps you as a core special teamer. Could make spots starts if needed but ideally a quality backup.