FRISCO, Texas – A full breakdown of the Cowboys' third-round draft pick (No. 90 overall) Friday night:
Name: Connor McGovern
College: Penn State
Height/Weight: 6-5 / 308
The Rundown: McGovern is a power lineman with the ability to play both guard and center. McGovern is considered a mauler-type because of his big size and frame. Not only can he overpower defensive tackles inside, but he plays with intelligence and has the ability to flip to either side of the line. This is a value pick by the Cowboys, who will expect to play early on.
How He Fits In: The Cowboys have some depth now at the interior of the line with McGovern, coupled with Connor Williams, Joe Looney and Xavier Su'a-Filo. This pick also protects the Cowboys from any setback on center Travis Frederick, which would put Looney back at the center spot. But this pick suggests the Cowboys believe McGovern can at least compete for a starting spot early in his career.
Next Cowboys Pick: 4th Round (128th overall)
Bryan Broaddus' Bottom Line:
- Has lined up at both center/guard.
- Plays with movement skills. Flat back blocker.
- Can get push at the point of attack. Gets his hands inside as a blocker.
- Has to be careful not to get too overextended. Gets to the second level.
- Plays with upper body power and strength. Keeps his head out of the block.
- Can really seal the backside on the block back.
- Can adjust on the second level. Has shown the ability to push his man past the hole.
- Aware as a blocker.
- Doesn't get fooled. Is generally in position to help.