FRISCO, Texas – The Cowboys found their next franchise quarterback with a fourth-round compensatory draft pick last year.
Could they spend another pick this year on a developmental backup for 23-year-old starter Dak Prescott?
Team executive vice president Stephen Jones didn't rule out that possibility during Monday's pre-draft press conference.
With Tony Romo's release in early April, the Cowboys now only have one quarterback under contract as a backup to Prescott: Kellen Moore.
"The first thing that comes to mind after Kellen is another young player to bring along," Jones said. "We'll see how the draft plays out. We'll also keep our eyes on young players, college free agency as well as anybody else who might be out there that we might think would work for us to develop."
The Cowboys haven't drafted a quarterback in consecutive years since 1989-90. They have seven total picks in this year's draft: one in every round except the fifth, and two seventh-rounders.
Jones has said defensive is a primary focus in this year's draft, but they won't ignore value at offensive positions.
Regardless of what happens on draft weekend, the Cowboys will need more depth at quarterback to support their 90-man roster into training camp.
"Would love to pick up at some point, whether it's the draft or whether it's college free agency, another young player to start the process with," Jones said.