IRVING, Texas –Below are highlights from today's hour-long pre-draft press conference at Valley Ranch featuring Cowboys owner/GM Jerry Jones, executive vice president Stephen Jones and head coach Jason Garrett:
- Jerry Jones said he's not concerned with Dez Bryant missing voluntary offseason workouts while technically not under contract because he hasn't signed his franchise tender offer. Garrett said he's been in contact with Bryant this offseason, and the club is very pleased with his growth as a player and person.
- Jones said "by hook or crook" the draft must improve the Cowboys' defense.
- However, Jones doesn't believe they have to select a running back in the draft, citing confidence in their current group of backs. "We don't have that as a must," Jones said.
- The team isn't ruling out a trade up or down in the draft, but it's hard to predict any movement because they're picking so late in each round.
- Jones said it's "highly unlikely" the Cowboys trade for a veteran player on draft weekend because of the value disparity in draft picks (much higher) versus players (much lower) this time of year.
- Stephen Jones reiterated that the team wasn't surprised by Greg Hardy's 10-game suspension, citing that they have structured an incentive-laden contract that pays Hardy relative to his time on the field.
Check DallasCowboys.com throughout the day for full updates from today's press conference.