FRISCO, Texas – A full breakdown of the Cowboys' second-round draft pick (No. 50 overall) Friday night:
Name: Michael Gallup
Position: Wide Receiver
College: Colorado State
Gallup posted a Colorado State record 100 catches for nearly 1,500 yards last season and became only the fourth consensus All-American in school history. Gallup, a Biletnikoff Award finalist last year, is a polished route-runner with sure hands and solid speed (4.5-second 40-yard dash). The former junior-college transfer scored 21 touchdowns in two years as a starter for the Rams.
How He Fits In:
Wide receiver was widely considered a top need for Dallas after the club parted ways with veteran starter Dez Bryant earlier this month. Free-agent signings Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson add veteran depth, but Gallup will have an opportunity to earn snaps on offense.
- This is a guy that could be in the top three of the position or could be lower depending on how you feel about him.
- There are scouts that really like him and others that have him behind some of the other receivers, like Christian Kirk and D.J. Moore.
- The film shows a player that is a good route runner and finisher.
- He'll need some initial work coming off the ball with his release but that shouldn't be too difficult to fix.
- His downfield separation is good with big play ability in his hands.
- What is most impressive about his work is his ability to carry his routes anywhere on the field.
- He is not limited to a few routes but is open to various types.
- Gallup gives you options, which can't be said about many of the receivers in this draft.
Next Cowboys Pick: 4th Round (116th overall)