OXNARD, Calif. – Cornerback Brandon Carr broke a bone his right hand while playing press coverage and will have surgery Monday in Dallas, head coach Jason Garrett said.
"He's going to be out for a little bit," Garrett said. "We don't think it's serious. It's a similar injury that DeMarco Murray had last year when he played in a game four or five days later.
"The biggest thing with this is getting the surgery done correctly, which we're confident that's going to happen, and then handling the incision and see what he's capable of doing."
Carr watched Saturday's walkthrough and is not expected to play in next week's preseason opener at San Diego. Garrett said he expects the veteran corner will return "sooner rather than later," though.
With Carr out for a bit, Garrett said first-round pick Byron Jones and veteran Corey White will play more cornerback reps. Both have the ability to play corner and safety.
- Wide receiver Dez Bryant isn't expected to practice Saturday due to the hamstring injury he sustained Thursday while running a route in practice, Garrett said. Bryant missed the morning walkthrough but the injury isn't considered serious, Garrett said.
- Garrett said defensive tackle Kenneth Boatright remains in the hospital with the neck injury he sustained in Thursday's practice. "We feel like everything has gone well up to this point, but they just think it's the right thing to do for him right now to stay in the hospital," Garrett said. Medical staff carefully strapped Boatright to a board Thursday and transported him to the hospital via ambulance for tests.
- Running back Darren McFadden (hamstring) is expected to increase his rehab work over the next few days with the goal of working back into practice after the San Diego game, Garrett said.
- Cornerback Orlando Scandrick missed the walkthrough with a sore knee that appeared to be bothering him in Thursday's practice. He's also considered day to day, Garrett said.
- Other players who are nursing injuries include wide receiver Devin Street (ankle), running back Lance Dunbar (ankle), defensive tackle Terrell McClain (hamstring/bone bruise), wide receiver Antwan Goodley (hamstring). Linebacker Rolando McClain (knee), offensive lineman Chaz Green (hip) and linebacker Mark Nzeocha (knee) remain out, too.
- The Cowboys will practice their "goal-line" period in Saturday afternoon's practice. "It's important," Garrett said. "We want to be a physical football team." However, none of the top three backs will participate, as Garrett said Joseph Randle will be rested during the goal-line period. Darren McFadden (hamstring) and Dunbar (ankle) aren't practicing, leaving Lache Seastrunk and Gus Johnson to get most of the reps. Fullback Tyler Clutts could be get some carries as well.
- Newly signed offensive tackle Cody Clay took part in the walkthrough. He will wear No. 69.