OXNARD, Calif. – The difference between Tony Romo's health seems to be night and day from last year to this year's camp. But the approach the Cowboys are taking isn't too different.
The Cowboys are limiting Romo's reps again despite little to no back issues. Head coach Jason Garrett said Romo will not practice Monday afternoon for another veteran day off.
"He had a good couple days over the weekend," Garrett said of his starting quarterback. "He wasn't out here this morning. We've talked about it last week that it's a good idea to keep him out weekly. Hopefully he'll come back (Tuesday) and get some good work in.
Garrett declined to discuss any of the players' availability for Thursday's preseason opener with the Chargers, but it's unlikely Romo will be in uniform. Romo hasn't played in each of the last two preseason openers while coming off back surgeries each of the last two offseasons.
- Kenneth Boatright has returned to the Cowboys' facility after spending several days in the hospital with his neck injury. Boatright was transported to the hospital by ambulance on Thursday after a collision with Tyron Smith, but Garrett said "he's doing fine." Boatright spent several extra days in the hospital, but mainly as a precaution.
- Brandon Carr underwent surgery on his injured hand in Dallas on Monday morning. Garrett said he's expected to return to Oxnard on Tuesday. It remains to be seen if he'll travel with the team to San Diego for Thursday's preseason game.
- Lance Dunbar won't practice Monday afternoon, as he continues to convalesce from his ankle sprain. With just two practice days before the preseason opener, it seems likely Dunbar won't return to work until after the game against the Chargers.
- Garrett said running back Darren McFadden (hamstring) is progressing well in his rehab with the athletic training staff, and his target return date continues to be Saturday, the first practice after Thursday's preseason opener at San Diego. McFadden has been on the Active/PUP list since the start of training camp but is eligible to return to practice at any time in preseason.
- Also on Active/PUP is linebacker Rolando McClain, who doesn't have a specific return date yet, Garrett said. However, Garrett said McClain is on the timetable the team expected when he had his knee scoped in May.[embeddedad0]