(Editor's Note: With the offseason practices now complete, the Cowboys will take some downtime before departing for training camp on July 28. Until then, let's focus on some of the more unknown rookies on this team, fighting for a roster spot. Today's featured player is defensive end Efe Obada.)
Name: Efe Obada
Position: Defensive End
Height/Weight: 6-5 / 257
Acquired: Undrafted Free Agent
Playing Career: Experience is certainly lacking for Obada, who not only hasn't played college football, but only five games of organized American football while playing for the London Warriors.
Did You Know?Obada has been clocked at 4.63 seconds in the 40-yard dash, which would have ranked fourth among defensive ends at the NFL Scouting Combine.
2015 Outlook:Given his inexperience, Obada might be the story of camp if he breaks out during the preseason and makes the 53-man roster. The Cowboys actually tried him at tight end for a day during OTAs. Obada has tremendous athleticism, though. He just needs time to develop, which the team has given him, signing him to a three-year contract. The practice squad seems like an ideal spot for him to develop and learn but with his athleticism, maybe he's got a shot to stick around sooner than expected.
- Will surprise you with how much technique he knows.
- Lacks experience, but hasn't let that stop him in his ability to learn and work to get better.
- Physically has an ideal build for a defensive end.
- Effort and movement are his best traits.
- Needs to develop strength and pass-rush moves.
- Has to learn how to disengage from blocks quicker.
– Bryan Broaddus