IRVING, TX -The Cowboys have added some depth on the defensive line this offseason, adding a couple of defensive ends in the draft, along with the signing of Greg Hardy. But at defensive tackle, not much has changed other than the retirement of Josh Brent.
Behind the rotation of Tyrone Crawford, Nick Hayden and Terrell McClain, the Cowboys have some young players that could possibly work themselves into the rotation.
This week, we will some players that could factor into the mix, continuing with Davon Coleman, an undrafted free agent in 2014 who spent the entire season with the club, both on the 53-man roster and later the practice squad.
Coleman made the team after training camp and ended up starting the season opener at tackle. He played two games and was inactive for seven before eventually landing on the practice squad. After the season, he was re-signed and once again will be vying for a roster spot in the middle.
Here is an updated scouting report on Coleman:
- There is a real mystery to this player in every sense of the word. Came out of training camp as part of the 53 man roster – then was off it just as quickly. Was as talented as any defensive linemen that I studied for the 2014 NFL Draft but there is something I am missing here? When I have had interaction with him it has been fun loving and joking which might be his biggest issue. Not sure how dependable and mature he is as a player. Maybe the fact that he made the opening day roster affected him as a player?
- Has the ability to line up and play as a nose or under tackle in this scheme.
- At Arizona State, he showed that he could play with power and penetration which he showed in camp but later he just wasn't the same player. He was one of the better pass rusher in camp whether it was a spin move or arm over – he was always working toward the quarterback.
- Is a very powerful athlete with good strength but like I mentioned, there is something missing here? Has the type of talent that you just don't want to give up on unless there is something I don't know about character wise.
- There is no doubt that he has the ability to play in this rotation and do a solid job. In my career, I have also seen players like Davon Coleman that just need to grow up.
- Another player that needs a productive summer both physically and mentally.