The Cowboys added a rookie tryout player in defensive end Zach Wood, just before the start of OTAs on Tuesday. Bryan Broaddus studied Wood's game tape for a quick scouting report of the rookie.*
Name: Zach Wood
Draft: Undrafted in 2016
Games Studied: 2015 vs. Baylor, TCU
- Played as a 3-4 defensive end -- more effort than ability. He will stay square along the line of scrimmage, but he is not an explosive player.
- He can avoid the low block, but he is not strong enough in the upper body to consistently disengage from blocks. He can get washed out of the play. He is better when he can just rush straight up the field.
- Wood works hard to try and find the ball, but he is not always successful. He is aware on the screen, and he makes plays on the move.
- Doesn't have many pass rush moves and has problems when he has to deal with double teams. Tends to get bounced around inside. Has trouble when he has to finish. Tends to fall off tackles.
- Plays with a tremendous amount of effort just very limited in overall skill and talent.