(Editor's Note: With the offseason in full swing, the focus is now shifting to the 2016 season, where the Cowboys have one of the toughest schedules in the NFL. Not only do the Cowboys face five playoff teams but many of the top players in football. So the writers of DallasCowboys.com have ranked the Top 50 players expected to be on the field this season, including the Cowboys. Today, we continue the list with Baltimore Ravens outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil.)
Name: Elvis Dumervil
Position: Outside Linebacker
2016 vs. Cowboys: The Cowboys and Ravens meet in Week 11 (Sunday, Nov. 20) at AT&T Stadium, the first of the Dallas' annual Thanksgiving stretch featuring two games in five days (Washington Redskins on Nov. 24). The Cowboys and Ravens have met only four times, most recently a 31-29 Ravens victory in 2012. Baltimore leads the all-time series, 3-1.
What's the Deal:Dumervil, 32, has established himself among the league's most effective pass rushers. A five-time Pro Bowler and two-time All-Pro, his 96 career sacks are tied for seventh in the league among active players, according to Pro Football Reference. Dumervil has a pair of 17-sack seasons on his career résumé (2009 with the Denver Broncos, 2014 with the Ravens).
Although he'll move around to different spots on the defensive line, Dumervil is typically the weak side stand-up outside linebacker in the Raven's 3-4 defense. Week 11 is scheduled to be his first career matchup against Cowboys All-Pro left tackle Tyron Smith, who entered the league in 2011 as the ninth overall pick.
Previous Meetings:Dumervil has spent his entire career in the AFC: seven seasons (2006-12) as a former fourth-round pick of the Broncos, followed by the last three seasons in Baltimore. He played the Cowboys once as a Bronco, tallying two sacks in a 17-10 Denver victory in 2009.
Bryan Broaddus Scouting Report:
- Was a hand-on-the-ground defensive end with the Broncos, now is a stand-up outside linebacker with the Ravens.
- Will walk him around to rush. Knows how to attack the edge as a pass rusher. Can get the blocker off balance. Very good when playing on the move. Don't see him late off the ball. Good lateral quickness. Gets pressure on the quarterback.
- Shorter than ideal but doesn't play short. Fast twitch player that works through blocks, not around them. Has the strength and power to carry blocker back into quarterback. Plays with leverage. Holds his ground by playing low. Hard guy to cut on the edge due to his balance and body control.[embeddedad0]
- Athletic movements. Knows how to rush at the level of the quarterback. Doesn't rush too deep. Locks his man out and plays on his feet. Good effort to chase the ball. Can really cover some ground from the back side.
- Strong upper body. Disruptive player with sudden first-step quickness. Can cause turnovers in the pocket. Will knock the ball out of the quarterback's hand in the pocket. Keeps his hands and feet moving on rush.
- Will compete. Good motor. Super productive. Has 96 career sacks.