IRVING, Texas – A few notes on what I'll be looking for during Day 2 of the Cowboys' rookie minicamp:
- There were several players that struggled with the heat during Friday's practice, but that's something I have grown to expect from players that haven't had any real activity since their Pro Days in March. No one ever questions the conditioning of a player like Dez Bryant, but I clearly remember his first days of practice here with the Cowboys and he went through the exact same troubles. Nerves and the weather conditions make for some tough days -- these kids will fight through it.
- Keep an eye on B.J. Catalon, running back from TCU in these practices on Saturday. Catalon is in the camp as a workout guy, but he grabbed my attention on Friday with the quickness that he was able to show -- not only in the drills but in the group work. His height might not be ideal, but his skill level makes up for a lot of his short comings.
- Could we have another Cole Beasley on our hands in this camp? Der'rikk Thompson is a wide receiver from Southern Methodist University, which is the same school that produced Beasley. If you had a chance to watch Mini Camp Live, you observed Thompson making several nice plays --not only in the team period but in 7-on-7 as well. Thompson was able to take advantage of several receivers sitting portions of the afternoon practice.
- Ron Fields from Texas A&M-Commerce is listed as a safety on the roster, but there were several snaps where he was playing like he was a corner playing out of the slot. This was the first time that I was able to see him -- whether it was live or on tape and I have to say that I came away impressed with his ability to be around the ball. I was also impressed with his size, mainly his height. At 6-3 he is clearly the tallest defensive back in the camp, but at 180 pounds he is going to need to put on some weight but he appears to have some traits to work with.
- On Mini Camp Live - I mentioned Tim Scott, a safety out of North Carolina. Here is his scouting report:
"Lines up as a corner but the projection is for him to play safety. Quick footed player. Will line up down in the box in certain packages as a linebacker. Appears to play faster than 40 time. Can pick up receivers out of the slot. Plays with some range down the field. Not afraid to lay the hit on a receiver but needs to wrap up better. Looks relaxed in the way he moves. Quick to react to the screen. Is aware to what is going on around him. Will be physical when he has to play press coverage. Is always working toward the ball. Knows where to be in the route. Size limits his role as a strong safety but appears to be a good fit as a free."