FRISCO – The Cowboys have seven draft picks slotted for Saturday's final four rounds.
Late Friday day, after completion of the second and third rounds, Cowboys owner/GM Jerry Jones made it clear that none of them have to be picked on a tight end, despite the recent pending situation of veteran Jason Witten.
While Jones addressed Witten's uncertain future earlier on Friday and said they won't discuss his next move until the end of draft weekend, it doesn't sound like they will be forced to take a tight end Saturday.
Cowboys VP Stephen Jones echoed those thoughts, stating the current tight end situation isn't as thinned out as some might suggest.
"We like it better than you guys probably do," Jones said to the media following Friday's press conference. "We might end up doing something there. But we don't really have to."
Jerry Jones said the Cowboys were "unfazed" when Philadelphia jumped up ahead of them at No. 49 to take South Dakota State's Dallas Goedert, who many believe was the best available tight end on the board. The Cowboys were zeroing in on Connor Williams, who was picked at No. 50.
The Cowboys have let the draft come to them so far in the first three rounds, not jumping up or back to get a better player or acquire more picks.
And that could be the approach again Saturday, which currently has the Cowboys with two fourth-rounders, a fifth, three in the sixth round and a seventh.
It's possible they could add to the position that has Geoff Swaim, Rico Gathers and Blake Jarwin, along with Witten, who is still apparently weighing his option to return for a 16th season. Reports have surfaced that he could follow in Tony Romo's footsteps and join the broadcast booth, perhaps even the vacant spot on Monday Night Football.