OXNARD, Calif. – In past years, particularly with their All-Pro offensive linemen, the Cowboys have used training camp as a benchmark to accelerate long-term contract negotiations for their star players.
Right guard Zack Martin is next in line.
Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones reiterated Sunday that the team will work on getting a deal done with Martin, an All-Pro in each of his first three seasons in the NFL.
This past spring the Cowboys picked up the fifth-year option on Martin's rookie contract, meaning he's currently signed through 2018. Jones repeatedly has said completing a long-term deal for the 26-year-old Martin is a top priority for the organization, though there's not necessarily an urgent timetable.
"I think he's an important part of our future," Jones said. "He represents everything we want our players to be about. He's not only a great player on the field, he's a great person off the field. We'll be hard at it trying to do it.
"At the same time, this is important. It's going to be a big number as we all know and it has to be right in terms of not only for us but for him. I feel confident that we'll get something worked out, but I wouldn't say anything's pushing this one way or another in terms of the urgency. He's going to be here, he's going to play hard, and as far as I'm concerned, he's going to be here for a long time. We'll work that out with him."
Early in training camp three years ago, left tackle Tyron Smith signed an eight-year deal worth nearly $100 million. Last year, center Travis Frederick signed a six-year extension worth nearly $60 million.